So you love food from the Asian subcontinent but are fresh out of clay pots and charcoal pits? Not to worry, this aromatic, flavorful, and healthy dish goes in your oven. Actually, a convection oven works best, just shorten the cook time accordingly.
The acids in the yogurt tenderize the chicken and the marinade leaves a pretty, rosy, glaze that protects the chicken from drying out. Best left to marinate overnight, but 4 hours works.
Serve with grilled vegetables, basmati rice, couscous or tabouli. Maestro prefers tabouli.
Equipment and Supplies
- 1 roasting pan with rack
- 1 whisk
- aluminum foil
- 1 cup yogurt, plain
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. black pepper, cracked
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1 tsp. ginger, ground
- 1 tsp. allspice
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha, optional
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 chicken breasts , boneless skinless, or 8 thighs
- 1 lime, sliced for garnish
- Whisk all ingredients but chicken and lime in a non-reactive bowl until it makes a smooth marinade.1 cup yogurt, 1 Tbsp. lime juice, 1 Tbsp. curry powder, 1 tsp. black pepper, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp. ginger, 1 tsp. allspice, 2 tsp. sea salt, 2 tsp. smoked paprika, 2 teaspoons Sriracha, 2 cloves garlic, 4 chicken breasts
- Put chicken and marinade in a 1-gallon zipper bag, shake and knead to completely coat chicken.4 chicken breasts
- Squeeze air out of the zipper¾ bag and refrigerate overnight, flip bag over in the morning.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 425. Line a roasting pan with aluminum foil, shiny side up. Arrange chicken on roasting rack and pour marinade remaining in the bag over the chicken.
- Bake for 30 minutes, flip chicken over and bake 10-15 minutes more until juices run clear.Garnish with sliced lime and serve.1 lime