People say Steak Tartar isn’t for everyone but Ludwig heartily disagrees. It is one of those appetizers that can turn into a main course because you just cannot stop eating it.
Nurses and other medical personnel might not approve, but I’ve served this for decades without incident. Always tell the butcher what you are preparing and that they should use a clean knife and grinding blade. Serve with cocktail rye bread, crackers, and / or Scandinavian flatbread.
Fry any leftovers for tremendous breakfast sliders.
Equipment and Supplies
- gelatin mold , small, or small bowl
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp. capers
- ½ cup onion, minced
- 2 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 Tbsp. mild paprika
- sea salt , coarse
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 pound freshly ground beef tenderloin
- Put ground steak into a small mixing bowl and press a deep well into its center.1 pound freshly ground beef tenderloin
- Crack egg into well and add Worcestershire sauce.1 egg, 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Add the onion, capers, cayenne, and paprika and knead. OK, there’s no better way to do this. Knead meat with your hands until thoroughly mixed.2 Tbsp. capers, ½ cup onion, 1 Tbsp. mild paprika, 2 tsp cayenne powder
- Cover the mound with salt and pepper.sea salt, black pepper
- Surround steak with small ramekins of extra capers, cayenne, paprika, salt and pepper.