Ludwig van Food
Yields 4 servings
Braised Beef Cheeks
10 minPrep Time
3 hr, 15 Cook Time
3 hr, 25 Total Time
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 pounds beef cheeks
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- Fresh cracked Tellicherry black pepper
- Flour for dredging
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 parsnip, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1½ cups red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 teaspoons whole coriander, cracked
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf, bruised
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large roasting pan over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle black pepper on the beef cheeks, dust lightly with flour and brown on all sides.
- Add onion, parsnip, celery, carrot and garlic to the meat and saute until tender.
- Pour in about ⅓ of the wine, scraping any bits from the pan. Stir until wine is mostly absorbed.
- Pour in the remaining wine and beef stock.
- Add the coriander, herbs and tomato paste, stir, cover and put in oven.
- Braise for about 3 hours until fork-tender.
- Remove meat from the pan and wrap in foil to keep warm.
- Strain the braising liquids into a large saute pan and turn heat to medium-high.
- Reduce liquids to a gravy consistency, stirring continuously.
- Remove from heat, put meat in a serving bowl and pour liquids over it. Serve.
Copyright © 2017-2018 Ludwig van Food