According to Ludwig, sauces are the grace notes of a meal. They usually are not necessary, but they can do much to liven up a dish. While there is absolutely, positively nothing wrong with the occasional gravy, not everyone has the time or temperment to whisk one up.
This black beauty was inspired by a shopping gaffe. No, really. Maestro got his tux in a bundle about cost of Worchestershire sauce so he bought the economy size online. Ever see a half gallon of a condiment usually used a tablespoon at a time?
Frau van Food WAS NOT HAPPY.
If you need to “borrow” a cup of Worchestershire, you know who to call.
Ludwig van Food
Yields 2 cups
A fast, easy and flexible sauce that works great with any red meat, particularly lamb. Tailor it to your meal by adding 1½ tablespoons of whatever rub or seasonings you put on the meat.
5 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
10 minTotal Time
- 2 cups water
- ⅓ cup Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons favorite meat seasoning
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- Whisk all ingredients together and reduce by ¼ over medium-low heat.
- Will keep a long time. You will finish this long before it goes bad.